On 14 May 2013, a Legal Entity of Public Law “Environmental Information and Education Centre” was established within the structure of the Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources Protection of Georgia with the aim to raise public awareness on environmental protection, support public participation in the decision-making process and increase access to justice.
The mission of the Environmental Information and Education Centre is to act as a mediator between the environmental protection policy developing and implementing parties and ensure that strategies, legislation and policies are explained to the target groups in a simple language and format.
The functions of the Environmental Information and Education Centre are the following:
- To create a unified data base on environmental protection and support its publicity;
- To ensure public access to the timely and an adequate information on the state of environmental protection;
- To support public participation into the environment related decision-making processes;
- To support public participation into the environment related surveys;
- To timely disseminate information about public discussions of reports concerning impact on the environment;
- To disseminate information about adoption of new legislative acts or legislative amendments in the field of environment;
- To carry out different activities and events in order to raise awareness on environmental issues among the target groups;
- To study public demand for environment related information;
- To support environmental education in Georgia and coordinate an implementation of the respective activities.